Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Waiting Game

Any accomplishments yesterday were little ones and done in bits and pieces.  I was waiting, you see, and didn't want to tackle any involved projects and get interrupted (it's my story and I'm sticking to it).  Joe had said he'd pick up the lawn tractor early.  I nearly strained my neck muscles peering over the goat's back while milking, trying to see if he'd arrived while I was in the barn.  No.  Even though it was raining again, I could do laundry while waiting and while the machine did the work I could wash eggs to take to the hardware store.  No-show Joe, so Bessie and I made a quick run to deliver dozens of eggs and rush back.  Joe's boss called and said he was running late but would be here by 2:30.  That worked because he'd be here and gone before the 4 o'clock appointment for a phone call requested by Sonia, the gal with the research project.  More odds and ends of chores while waiting.  At 3:40, I called and rescheduled Joe for today.  And I waited.  After I'd sent a reminder email, Sonia called about 4:30.  She won't be coming with the crew after all and just wanted to touch base.

Today I'm waiting for the rain to go away.  Three days of rain so far.  Even if the tractor were running, everything is too wet to mow, and I'm not about to go out and pull weeds in this weather.  The days are spent in bibbies soaked to the knees from slogging through tall grasses that are only going to get taller when the sun shines again.

"Little drops of water, little grains of sand, make the mighty ocean and the beauteous land."  So went a poem from my youth.  All those piddling chores might add up to a finished project and give me a chance at winning the waiting game.  I'll just have to wait and see.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Sounds like you got a LOT done with your bits and pieces of this and that. Hope you tractor is in the hospital now!

Unknown said...

You seem to be highly qualified to work in a start up company where so many dependancies hinge on simple promises and deliverables!- i am simultaneously on both sides of this equation and wish it were better and easier to manage. It seems like lately it is more difficult to under promise and over deliver.

Time is the most valuable asset hands down anyone single person or organization has. I'm sorry that yours was spent .... with so little return...lc