Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Wheels On the Bus

Today's topic is...oh, wait...there is no topic.  These days I spend most of  my time mowing and/or weeding, and not much else is happening.  My version of the song goes, "The wheels on the tractor go round and round," as I make endless passes in one yard or another.  Company is coming both this weekend and next and I do need to tackle some housework.  The dilemma is this:  hotter weather is predicted and I can work inside better than outside in the heat, so for now the outside chores get the nod.  (Couldn't she do both?  Yes, but she doesn't want to.)

A gopher, not a ground squirrel for a change, has tunneled up into the Silkie pen.  I know they are not known for good eyesight so I don't know if the one poking his head up didn't see me come in yesterday or if it was waiting for me to throw the grain into its mouth, but he certainly was in no hurry to leave the scene.  Is there no end to the freeloaders?

The warm days have brought out my totems, the lizards, in full force.  All shapes and sizes are darting here and there, doing push-ups on the porch, and napping in the sun.  A pretty big fellow made good his escape intact as I dodged the squirrel hillocks while mowing the front yard yesterday.  All little insect eaters are welcome.  At least they catch their own dinner.

I didn't bother to put the mower under cover last night.  I know what I'll be doing today.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Nope, no end to the freeloaders, but don't they make life interesting and the blog fun to read! Let's see...the goats and chickens you signed on for, the hummingbirds are a big plus (until the sugar bill overtakes your own grocery bill), and the deer, turkeys, mice, squirrels and gopher(s) have hopped on the gravy train. Have I forgotten any freeloaders??