Friday, May 31, 2013

Will Work For Pie

It's difficult to repay someone who won't take money for his time and gasoline, and it wasn't like I could return the favor to my friend and neighbor Joel, who came over and disked down all the weeds in my south pasture yesterday morning with his big tractor.  Flatlanders might not appreciate that this is a really big deal up here.  That field of knee-high weeds was a real fire hazard and we're heading into a very dry summer, the rain this week notwithstanding.  Talking with Joel later, I asked again how I could thank him with more than words; such kindness deserves a reward.  Finally he said that the next time I bake pies, I could bake one for him.  That debt is now on my books and I will be so happy to pay.

Yesterday was one of those Goldilocks days, not too hot and not too cold.  Farview was showing off for the coterie of ladies who came to share their time here.  Kit and Earlene had driven up together from SoCal to visit Tinka, Kit's aunt who lives over the hill in Fiddletown.  Earlene Fowler is an author and kindly brought me a copy of her latest book, The Road To Cardinal Valley.  Kit, Tinka and I have become friends through one of those roundabout, "small world" coincidences that sometimes brings people together.  Chattering like magpies, after lunch we went out to visit the chickens and goats.  Poppy lay unmoving in the shade like a big beached whale and it was a bit worrisome until she raised her head.  Time does fly by when you're having fun, and it seemed way too soon when the ladies had to leave.

It was a good day.

No comments: