Saturday, May 18, 2013

As the World Turns

It always comes as a surprise when I realize that the earth has again turned on its axis and the sun comes up in a different place.  West is west, but sunrise appears to move from the southwest to the northwest.  The change is imperceptible and it is not until I get hit in the eyes by a stray beam from a window that was previously in shade that I know it has happened again.  Moonrise, for a portion of the year, is over the hills by Omo Ranch.  Soon it will be perfectly framed in the big picture window in the living room, breathtaking when the moon is full.

The Silkies' coop, the Taj, has become a condominium.  A family of toads has moved into the basement (a burrow underneath).  The door to the Taj drops down to form a ramp for the chickens and now every night as I shut it, I find toads enjoying the sunset under the protection of the ramp.  These are daredevil toads, as the chickens enjoy a good meal of frog legs and would have no problem going hunting for fresh meat.  I wish the little creatures well; the Toad Taj has a nice ring, I think.

Yesterday was a perfect day for mowing and once started, I couldn't stop.  I needed to do laundry, so thought I'd mow the side yard so I wouldn't be blowing chaff all over clothes on the line.  It looked so nice, maybe I'd just do the front yard, too.  What the heck, the backyard beckoned and I answered.  Tootling down the slope to get there, I cut a wide swath that looked unfinished.  The solution was to keep going.  And going.  I didn't do the front orchard because the earth is so soft there that I'd bury the wheels, and I didn't get close under the oak because of some fallen branches that will need to be picked up first.  Fu Man Chu and I got our workout, but, dang! the yards look good.  I even got all the laundry done.  If I can gather up my intestinal fortitude, I will get out the rolling weed-eater someday soon.  I really hate that piece of equipment, but it needs doing and I'll never get a garden planted without it.

Today, I think I'll just rest on my laurels.  I hope they're soft; my sit-down is sore.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

It indeed sounds like you need a Sunday-day-of-rest on Saturday. Congrats for the job that you and Fu Man Chu did. Now maybe if you name your wicked weed-eater, it will become more of a friend???? Nah! Loved the part about the Toad Taj - good luck to them!