Saturday, May 4, 2013

Cravings

The trek to town the other day did not include going all the way down to the grocery store; that's about a 75-mile round trip that I make once a month.  Maybe it's the weather, maybe it's watching the goats chowing down on all the greens in their pen, maybe it's seeing pictures of my Seattle friend's garden; whatever the reason, I've been craving fresh vegetables.  It got bad enough yesterday that I went up to the local store (only 10 miles away) and indulged in Brussels sprouts, kale, lettuce, and the like.  There was no rhubarb or I would have gotten that, too.  My mother was of the old school and believed that rhubarb in the spring thinned the thick sludge of winter blood; I just like it.  A friend gave me some strawberries last week and I ate them with just a sprinkle of sugar and a splash of balsamic vinegar; yummy.

There are very few items on my wish list.  There is little I need or want as I have nearly every darned thing to make my life complete.  But (there's always a "but") I have recently seen commercials for a small John Deere tractor with an easily detachable front loader and a drive-over mower deck attachment.  Now that's something a person could really use.  Do I need it?  No, but it's nice to think about.  I guess it's like guys and new cars.

Speaking of cars, Dave and a friend were going to come up tomorrow, but there was an accident.  The friend was riding his motorcycle on the freeway and a car changed lanes in front of him.  Thankfully there were no serious injuries, but a severe bang-up (I don't know if the bike survived).  Just a word of caution to all motorists:  with the rising cost of gasoline and the approach of good weather, there will be more and more motorcyclists on the road.  We are all conditioned to look for other cars, but it is so important to put motorcycles on the radar too.  I'm just sayin'.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Yowza, I'm so glad the accident was not more serious, and that's great advice to motorists. I'm also glad you got your fresh vegetables, and of course you made me smile...I'm guessing that you are part of a very elite group...women "of-a-certain-age" who have a "John Deere tractor with an easily detachable front loader and a drive-over mower deck attachment" on their wish list! U GO GIRL!