Monday, March 10, 2014

When All Else Fails

This is as much as I'd seen of the kitties since their arrival, and this only because I'd pulled some towels out of the cubby where they were hiding.  I'd tried coaxing, wheedling, and treats.  "We don't want your stinkin' treats, lady."  Oh no, what if they hate me?!  I would go in often to talk to them, reach in and pet what I could, and hoped that time and a kind word would work.  I knew they hadn't touched the bowl of food nor used the litter box, and it wasn't looking good for our future together.
When all else fails, try a special meal.  I don't normally feed wet cat food, but always keep some on hand.  It was time to pull out the big guns and go for broke.  I waved the bowl in front of the cubby, put it down, and stepped away.  Like trolls from under the bridge, Ralph and Whatshername came creeping out to take turns chowing down.  Ta da!  I'd been so anxious to get the cats safely into the house, this is really the first look I'd had at WHN.  She's such a pretty girl.  With a white undercoat, she has fur like a cloud.
Ralph (he blabbed his name right off the bat) relaxed on the bathmat after filling his tummy.  Larry had told me that Ralph was touted to be the lover of the two and he did come up for a rub-up and stroking after his meal, my tip for providing the food, but chose to remain aloof and I wasn't going to push the issue.  All good things in their own time.

It did surprise me when girl cat was the one who demanded attention, pushing and shoving her face against my hand and asking for more (attention, not food).  In the process, she told me in confidence that her name is Celeste.  I told her I thought that was a very pretty name and suits her well.

For the rest of the day, whenever I'd visit, Ralph and Celeste would come out for a rub-up and I finally got to play with them.  I was very pleased to see that the litter box was getting used (it's the small things in life that make us happy) and the dry food bowl was getting emptied.  We're taking baby steps.  Now that they are used to me, I will introduce Bessie Anne today.  If all goes well (fingers crossed), I'll expand their territory to include the bedroom.  It's so nice to feel cat fur again.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Aw, I'm so glad to meet your new furry family!!