Sunday, July 26, 2015

Birds Of A Feather

Either the vultures are stripping down because of the heat or it is moulting season.  I am finding vulture feathers everywhere.  While these may not look impressive in the photo, note that the long one is fifteen inches!  In flight, the big birds look black, but in reality they're dark brown tinged with black.  The underside is an opalescent mother-of-pearl verging on white.  The down feathers are pure white.  I find the different shapes interesting and wish I knew more about ornithology and bird anatomy and physiology.  I left the feathers on the table.  Want to bet Ralph will let them stay there?  This morning he found bits of string on the counter.  Now they're on the floor.

Ralph is usually off doing Ralph things, but lately Celeste has handed off a tour of lap duty and Mom watching to my redheaded boy.  He's been stopping by my chair more often.  He doesn't stay long, but it's not his usual habit to stay close to me.  I believe Celeste feels Ralph may be sufficiently trained as to finally be reliable or she might just need a break.  She continues to accompany me when I leave the room.  I wonder if, in their opinion, I'll ever get grown up enough to be left on my own.  (Sometimes I wonder that myself.)

I've got to make some changes in my morning routine and get down to the barn much earlier.  I do dawdle, not willing to clock in until my internal monitor says I absolutely must or there will be consequences.  The consequence in hot weather is pain and suffering.  I'm a procrastinator, not a masochist.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

I like that..."I'm a procrastinator, not a masochist!" Not sure it would sell on a T-shirt without a "consequences" description, but fun nonetheless. Beautiful feathers and I'm glad that you told us that the long one was 15 inches. Now THAT'S impressive!!