Tuesday, July 28, 2015

I Know Better

There are things I've learned over the years.  I've learned when hiking (yes, I used to go hiking) never to step over a log without looking on the other side first; snakes could be hiding.  I've learned never to get firewood from the pile without gloves; black widow spiders hide in the hidey-holes.  I've learned not to reach into dark places; who knows what could be lurking.  Uh huh.  Night before last at near dark, I reached into the feed barrel for the chickens' nighty-night treat and felt something furry against my hand.  Removing said hand quickly, I turned on the light and found, not a mouse, but a squirrel.  Squirrel burrowed into the corn.  "If I can't see you, you can't see me."  I tilted the barrel and set it free.  Last night, I needed to empty in a new bag of scratch but before I could unzip the bag, I heard sounds from the barrel.  Smarter, I turned on the light before lifting the lid.  There were two, not one, but two very overweight squirrels in there.  One used amazon strength and leaped out on its own; this tubby was stuck.  "So, what are ya gonna do about it, lady?"  What I did was take this mug shot for future identification, then tilt the barrel and let the thief beat feet out the door.  I know better than to take on a sumo squirrel.

2 comments:

Emmy said...

Stocking up for winter, no doubt.
How do they get in? Do you use a bongie cord to hold cover down ?

Kathryn Williams said...

Oh it just gets funnier and funnier. I know - funnier for me - more irritating for you :-)