Tuesday, September 22, 2015

And Then...

Her plans and arrangements were all made, and then....  Linda must feel that she's fallen out of the tornado into Oz.  Having left Seattle behind, her rental agreement fell through and, literally homeless, my friend is stuck here while she looks for a house to buy in the area.  She is very patient with my bossy ways.  "No, the forks must go in the dishwasher tines up!"  (There's a reason for that.)  I am selfish with the TV remote, especially on NASCAR Sundays and "Blue Bloods" Thursdays.  Each of us having lived alone, we're still getting used to the transition from guest to housemate, and it's working very well (except for, perhaps, the remote, which I won't give up).  After the cool, moist weather in Seattle, Linda has also had to acclimate to the hot, dry summer here.  (I don't like it much, either.)  Luna is slowly coming out of her shell and out of her room more frequently.  Bessie Anne tolerates her and the cats avoid her, not exactly the welcoming committee, but it's working.

I went out to the second shed where extra this's and that's are stored to get a big trash bag, and then....  The first clue was the smell.  The big, very old freezer had died.  I don't know when because I don't go in that shed often.  The freezer was mainly for fruit and tomatoes, so not much was lost, although I do mourn the big pork roast from a home-grown hog that I was saving for a big family do.  I know that every fruit fly in America has put in a change-of-address card.  I called the disposal site (what we used to call the Dump) and the very nice lady told me I didn't have to clean the freezer before bringing it in.  My plan is to seal the door with duct tape and forget what's in there.  Clay is coming up today and maybe the three of us can load it in my truck for a trip to town tomorrow.

I have no idea how the "data allowance" on the computer works.  There is a little status meter on the tool bar and I dutifully check it daily.  When I shut the computer down yesterday after writing my piece, there was 63% left, and then....  Logging back in yesterday afternoon, I had no data allowance at all and the meter was totally in the red.  The attempt to find out how and why this happened and how to fix it took two hours on the phone to the Philippines.

There was just enough time to get down to the feed store to get goat chow before it closed.  Bessie Anne and I drove home with the air-conditioner blasting, and then....  Linda had fixed dinner while we were gone.  This housemate thing certainly has its perks.

No comments: