Wednesday, September 2, 2015

September Song

"Oh, it's a long, long time from May to December, but the days grow short when you reach September."  And that's the truth, be it literal or figurative.  Almost 7 a.m. and the sun isn't up yet, and the girls have to be in the barn by 7:30 p.m. or it is too dark for them to see the back of their stall and we have problems.  I've been seeing more vultures than usual riding the afternoon thermals.  Mid September is when those great birds begin their migration, an event that holds me in thrall every year.  Just saw a documentary yesterday that showed vultures to hold the world record for high flight; a particular breed has been spotted at altitudes higher than Mt. Everest!  On my last trip to town, there were displays of Halloween candy...now, that's pushing the envelope in my opinion.  Honestly, I don't know anyone with enough self-control to hold a bag (or even a bar) of candy for two months.  It is, however, a portent of what is to come.  (Can Christmas be far behind?)

There is a day when you wake up and just know the seasons have changed.  Somehow the air feels different, be it summer, winter, spring, or fall, even if the temperatures haven't changed that much.  It's time to begin getting ready for what comes next.  Helper Dude is coming today to help me replace a hinge on a stall door and empty and clean the goats' water trough.  Neither is a hard job, but both need two pairs of hands.  He's also going to replace the pull cord on the weedwhacker.  It won't be all that long until I'll be able to start cutting down the overgrowth of weeds, especially along the driveway.  There's not a lot I can do to prepare for the promised El Nino this winter, but I'll do what I can to get ready for autumn.  Make hay while the sun shines!

No comments: