Thursday, September 24, 2015

Nothing If Not Consistent

If I make a goof once, I can be counted on to do it exactly the same way again.  It was "Get the danged freezer to the dump!" day and Linda came along for the ride (and to give assistance).  Driving the hilly, curvy road was interesting with that freezer shifting back and forth behind the cab.  When we got into town, I mentioned that I always miss the turn into the Waste Management Disposal Site (highfalutin' name for the dump) and asked her to watch for the sign.  It is a very small sign with small lettering, hidden on a post under a bigger sign about something else.  We saw it as we were going past.  I turned at the next road to go back.  Going this direction, there wasn't any sign at all so I missed the turn again.  Waste Management evidently likes to keep a low profile.  I turned around again and pulled over.  Linda got out her GPS, which would have been helpful but for the fact that we knew where the dump was.  It was almost a case of "you can't get there from here" because the road kept mysteriously disappearing.  Success came on the third go-round and we pulled in, paid the fee, and drove up to the nice man who was to direct me where to go.  I told him what I had and that if the tape didn't hold, it could be a really stinky mess.  His response, "Oh crap!"  Using his walkie-talkie to check with higher ups, it was decided to send us around to the industrial section rather than the public bays.  Hey, I just wanted the thing out of my truck.  And that presented a new problem.  It had taken two strong men to get the freezer into the truck and only short Linda and old me to get it out.  I had sort of counted on a gallant knight to come to our aid, but none seemed available.  I pulled and Linda pushed and because of the slick bed liner, the freezer slid out like it was next to nothing.  And, when it dropped, the tape held.  Feeling slightly criminal, we got out of Dodge!

The next stop was a small store hidden behind some commercial buildings.  Sometime back, the lady who runs the store changed the one day she's closed during the week.  It used to be Tuesday, now it's Wednesday.  Being the creature of habit I am, and rarely knowing what day of the week it is anyhow, I sometimes get it wrong.  A month ago when Linda was here, we went to town, pulled up to the little store, and it was Wednesday.  The door was locked.  Oh crum.  Yesterday, I pulled into the parking lot and Linda said, "There are a lot of cars back here so it seems she's open."  "Yes, at least it isn't Wednesday."  Pause.  "But is is Wednesday."  I had to pull out my phone to check and, by golly, it was Wednesday.  Yogi Berra was the king of malaprops, and we laughed hysterically when Linda quoted him, "It's deja vu all over again."  It was perfect.

I'm nothing if not consistent.  It was a good day.

No comments: