Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Take Two And Call Me

If I take four pain killers in a year, it's a bad year.  I think because I take so little (or no) medication, on those occasions when I need pills they're very effective.  It's my own theory, but it works for me. The old saying went, "Take two aspirin and call me in the morning."  (Those were the days when one could actually talk to your doctor.)  In other words, get over yourself.  By the time I went down to the goats, I was back in shape and am fine now.

Turkeys in the yard are a daily sight.  The other morning the toms were on parade, heading toward the breakfast bar.  All but one, standing on a rock just on the other side of the drive with its back turned.  It seemed different.  It was.  It was a vulture.  There is a resident crew on posts, trees, and wires, sometimes on the ground in the goat pen waiting their turn at the water trough, but never have I seen one so close to the house.  It eventually flew off, but it did make me wonder.

Once in awhile I will get a call to "Dr. Mom" from one of the Kids.  Advice ranges from, "Get yourself to the emergency room now!," "You might want to have that looked at by your doctor," whatever treatment I know will help, to, "Take two aspirin and call me in the morning."  Merck Manual has stood me in good stead many times when the situation was beyond my knowledge.  Lucy, in the "Peanuts" cartoon, had a sign that read, "The doctor is in."  I got one of those calls yesterday.  Fortunately, it was not an emergency and Kid and I took the wait-and-see route.

Skies were overcast all day and temps dropped into the 70s, delightful weather.  At sundown, the sun broke through and showed off with a blinding blaze that made the reverse fields glow like gold while I made my way to the goat pen.  I love the sight of my curving drive leading home.
Ever the quick-change artist, it was only a short time later that clouds moved back in to highlight the layers of blankets as the sun went to bed for the night.  If that view of peace and calm doesn't cure what ails ya, take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

No comments: