Thursday, October 1, 2015

The Sky Is Falling!

Like Henny Penny and Chicken Little, I'm pretty sure the sky is falling, or at least it has developed a big leak.  It started dripping yesterday just after I'd hung a load of laundry on the line.  (Thank goodness for the dryer.)  Somebody stuffed a rag in it while I went down to put the kids to bed, but then the plug was pulled and it started raining for real.  What a wonderful, glorious sight and sound.  Not a storm, but a gentle rain that fell throughout the night and is still falling this morning.  The goats will not share my enthusiasm.  If this is the precursor to the predicted El Nino, they will have to get used to it.  California is in such desperate need of water that even a day's worth is welcome.  (Remind me I said that when I start whining about being wet and cold.)  Oh crum.  Cold.  I didn't tarp the woodpile.  Note to self:  buy a new tarp on the next trip to town.

Only a couple of days ago Linda and I were fixing light, hot weather meals (we take turns cooking), and last night we needed something more substantial, like fried chicken, mashed potatoes and cream gravy, and roasted Brussels sprouts.  Cooler and a little overcast, the night before she'd made a delicious cauliflower and potato soup.  It's fun to have someone to cook with and have dinner.  Linda is on her own for breakfast and lunch.  Yesterday morning I brought her an egg still warm from the hen.  Trust me, there is a difference between fresh and store-bought eggs, and the comparison isn't favorable for the store-bought.

I'd much rather see the sky falling than tree limbs.  It's a good day.

No comments: