Sunday, October 25, 2015

The Eyes Have It

It simply doesn't pay for me to be a slug in the morning and run late.  The turkeys started gathering under the oak at their regular time, waiting for their handout.  Dawdling along, I just couldn't get it in gear yesterday.  What difference could a few minutes make?  Plenty.  "Lady!  Hey!  Lady!  Yes, you.  How 'bout a little service here?"  Looking up, I saw five pairs of eyes staring at me.  The turkeys were up on the deck rail and giving me "the look" through the window.  Guilt is a big motivator, so I rushed to get outside and tend to chores.  The main flock of fifteen-plus were waiting impatiently at the breakfast bar.  I didn't have to talk turkey to know what they were saying about me.  I've got to do better, and that's that.

The same attitude was present down in the barn.  Accusing mice and goat eyes were everywhere.  It wasn't my imagination, truly.  Fortunately, all the critters forgive and forget once their bellies are full (and udders empty).

"Hi, Honey, I'm home!"  Linda doesn't say it, but I hear it in my mind's ear just the same when she gets back from work.  I heard it all those years when Steve walked in the door.  She had a very successful day at the store yesterday and that put a big smile on her face.  The shop is open seven days a week and this week she's worked all of them (there are other, fill-in employees, too).  After several years of semi-retirement, she's enjoying getting back into a regular routine.  One of her part-timers has a winery and today Linda is going to an event at DK Cellars.  I was invited to come along as her "plus-one," but today's race is at Talladega, "The Big One."  Need I say more?

Not wanting a repeat of yesterday, I will be on time today.  I couldn't face all those eyes again.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

The "Eyes" definitely DO have it! And we used to say, "Margaret, I'm home," in honor of all those years of watching Father Knows Best! Glad it has been a good week for Linda!