Monday, October 19, 2015

Shorter Days, Longer Nights


For Linda, days will become longer as she takes ownership of her new business tomorrow and her working hours will become extended.  For me and the animals who work during daylight only, late sunrise and early sundown as fall approaches shorten our daytime activities.  By 6:15 last evening, it was almost too late to get the girls in the barn and too dark to check for any last-minute eggs in the coop.

Lovely as the weather was yesterday, not much got done as it was NASCAR day.  Laundry is always the chore of choice when a race is on.  I've got to do something productive before I catch a case of the Guilts.  Besides, the days of sunshine will come to a halt soon and I much prefer clothes dried on the line to using the machine.  They look and smell better, and it's free!

She who thinks up the menu cooks.  Linda worked a short day yesterday, but she had a recipe in mind and so she got the duty.  I've been the happy recipient of some gourmet fare lately and last night's dinner was no exception.  Made-from-scratch Potatoes O'Brien with spices and some heat from a jalapeno pepper and the addition of smoked salmon and cream from the goat milk was to die for.  I'm more of a down-home cook and it's great to expand my repertoire.  It's a challenge to my skills to try new dishes.

It won't be long until we have to switch dinner time from before goats to after goats unless we want to eat at 4!  Shorter days means earlier bedtime, too.  My circadian rhythms are definitely in sync with daylight hours.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Down home cook...pshaw. You put me to shame!