Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Top Dog

There was a bit of a contretemps in the hallway yesterday.  Things had been going fairly smoothly even though Ralph and Celeste were encroaching on Luna's space, stealing her toys and snacking from her food dish.  Luna was slowly getting braver about coming out of isolation, joining Linda in the kitchen during early morning hours without problems.  And then it all went to the dogs.  Evidently one or the other crossed the line and Celeste and Luna got into a brief, loud fight, quickly ended by shouting by the refs and the combatants ran to their separate corners.  Since we didn't see the beginning, we can't place blame.  Celeste was well hidden under the bed, but Luna was out, her one paw (she's only got the one front leg) full of grey fur.  I'm thinking she came out top dog.

It is rather disconcerting to hear a head-butting match break out in the pen while I'm inside milking.  There's nothing I could do about it anyhow, but still I worry.  I feel better if it happens to be Tessie up on the stand and I know she and her one horn can't hurt any of the others.  There is no defined queen of the herd just now.  It's pretty obvious that Cindy is the omega goat.  She shies away from any conflicts and tries her best to avoid contact.  When one of the girls is spoiling for a fight, there is a particular sound they make and I know trouble is on the way.  Fortunately, most of the battles are short lived and peace has been restored by the time I finish in the barn and we all walk back up the hill together.  I never know who won and who lost.

I was going to say that the only dog in the house was the only one not in a fight, but during the girls' squabble in the morning, Ralph sat in plain view, looked at me and said, "It wasn't me.  I didn't do it, Mom.  See me right here."  He obviously wanted to get the Good Son points.

I'm hoping to get through today without a rematch.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Ralph is SO funny! Nice that you have comic relief!!