Thursday, October 22, 2015

A Step Back

Yesterday, October 21, 2015, was "Back To The Future" day for those who saw that movie.  For me, it was a step back in time.  It's been years since I've had to plan dinner and have it ready when the worker in the house came home.  The night before, Linda brought home a pizza and I had champagne chilled and ready to celebrate her new ownership of Pet Bath & Beyond.  Last night, that touch of fall weather made me think of albondigas and baked potatoes.  The spicy beef and chorizo meatballs in a broth and tomato sauce were bubbling in the oven when Linda walked in, tired and hungry.  On my own, dinner has been a catch-as-catch-can affair; sometimes I cook, often not.  It's good to be on a schedule again.

Speaking of schedules, the mice must have tiny clocks somewhere.  They certainly know when it is breakfast time.  Little faces peep out of burrows as they watch for me to bring in the buffet and then they run back to spread the word.  It used to be that the mice would come out, snatch up a piece of grain and quickly duck back down the hole.  Now more and more come out and stay out, munching until they're full, looking directly into my eyes.  Every so once in awhile, there will be a tussle when a bully takes over.  Poor little Kinks gets the worst of it.  He comes out to sneak a bite, hoping not to be seen, but mostly he gets run off empty handed.  After several fruitless tries yesterday, I put down a sprinkle of grain by the entrance he uses.  I know I shouldn't play favorites, but....

Amazingly, the Kids all responded to the survey and they all voted to have Thanksgiving on, wait for it, Thanksgiving!  This will be two years in a row.  Can it be we are becoming traditionalists?!  It's so unlike us.

It was a good day.

No comments: