Friday, October 16, 2015

Promises, Promises

Doggone it!  All day long, cloud cover drifted over, went away, came back, flirting with a promise of rain but never following through.  Last evening it gave a last wave goodnight before the sun went down.

What is it with cats whenever I'm remaking the bed with fresh-from-the-line laundry?  Ralph and Celeste go simply bonkers, racing around under the billowing sheets, chasing corners as they float by, and making pests of themselves in general.  They don't make the task any easier as they romp on the bed, but they do make me laugh.

There was one eggplant left and I wanted to use it before it got soft, so the plan was to fry it up last night.  I watch a lot of cooking shows and happened to see a segment of The Barefoot Contessa (Ina Garten) in which she made homemade basil mayonnaise.  She promised it was easy and delicious.  Hmmm.  Dipping crispy-creamy eggplant slices in basil mayonnaise sounded pretty good.  On one of her trips to town, Linda picked up fresh basil (actually, she bought the whole plant!), and I had plenty of eggs, lemon juice, and garlic on hand.  One appeal of Ina's recipe is that it uses a two-to-one ratio of vegetable oil to olive oil, making it a much lighter end product and less expensive.  Ina kept her promise.  Food processor whizzing, the mayonnaise was ready in no time and was truly delicious, bursting with flavor and just the right consistency.  Linda and I will be safe from vampires for a week, as the garlic-laden recipe makes a big batch and we shall be known as those ladies with the garlic breath.  I promise.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

I actually had time to read the blog in the MORNING today, and what a great way to start my day - with a broad smile!