Sunday, October 18, 2015

Begin And End

I hope word doesn't get out, but it seems that I can be wrong.  (I much prefer to be right.)  Yesterday was more frustrating than good, although there were, of course, good moments.  That solid downpour in the morning lasted over three hours and dumped 2-1/2 inches, but stopped completely before I had to go milk; didn't even need a hat and the girls cooperated.  Good beginning.

I have a carpet sweeper to do a quick spiff-up in between vacuuming.  It needed recharging.  The recharge light wouldn't come on.  Hmmm.  Maybe it needs a new battery.  Tried to take the back off and couldn't.  Called Support.  "The battery is not replaceable."  "Then what's wrong with it?"  "You might have to buy a new machine," and, "If you do get it running, be sure to clean the brushes or the belt will wear out and that's not replaceable, either."  Bad.  Evidently all the jiggling around did something because when plugged in again (I'm not a quitter), the little light came on.  Good.

My cellphone had been wonky for several days.  Nothing I tried had been successful.  The weather app continued to drag a day behind and frequently forgot where we live.  The phone started teasing me.  Sometimes it would give me mail, sometimes make me wait, and sometimes not giving it at all.  When it switched without warning from Fahrenheit to Celsius, I began to take it personally.  As I was going to town anyway, I went to the phone store and spent over an hour while the rep tried this, that, and the other thing.  When it got worse and the blasted thing interpreted my zip code as somewhere in Germany, she said, "You'll have to reinstall the base system, but be sure to back up the phone first."  Bad.  I had her show me how to do that and made my escape.  Good.

I'd found a feed store in town that carried milk filters, saving me a trip to Shingle Springs.  Good.  It started raining just as I left.  Good and Bad (we still need the rain).

It stopped raining as I came up the drive so I could unload a month's worth of groceries without getting soaked.  Good.  I forgot to buy a tarp for the woodpile.  Bad.

I was going to backup the phone and get the blasted thing going again or know the reason why.  The reason why was because my computer would not talk to the blankety-blank thing and just as I was losing it and ready to throw it out the window, Linda came home from work.  It wasn't necessary to ask, "How was your day?"  That was readily apparent.  Bad.  Linda came to the rescue and used her laptop to do the backup.  With her help, we got the system reinstalled, up and running.  Good.

The day ended as it had begun.  Breaks in the clouds and a light mist.  All things considered and most with a successful outcome, it was a good day.  I was right!

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Whew, what a roller coaster or see saw. Technology things on the blink seem to be the worst! When a screwdriver or hammer will fix whatever problem...it's SO much easier. Hope today is a better day!