Saturday, October 10, 2015

Back On Track

It's amazing how smoothly and quickly chores go with a little cooperation from the goats.  Everyone was in sync yesterday.  Bring the first one in, get her milked, open the door to let her out and the next one is right there, ready to take her turn.  Bam, bam, bam and we were done.  I use the down time when the nonmilkers are on the stand to clean stalls.  Fill the feed bucket for the next day and then I'm outta there.  Would that every day could be like that.  Oh well.

The times they are a-changing (Bob Dylan, 1964).  It wasn't so long ago that I could wait until nearly 9 p.m. to put the girls in the barn.  Slowly, bedtime crept forward until sundown came at 7.  Last night I was almost too late at 7.  I see I'll need to get down to the barn by 6:30 for awhile.  Dinnertime gets shifted accordingly.  Prep yesterday afternoon got started at 4:30.  Bacon and onion quiche with Jarlsberg cheese, a spring-greens salad, and warm sourdough bread was pretty darn good.

Deb and Craig are coming up today (!!) and I'd thought I'd fix the quiche for lunch until I remembered that Craig is lactose intolerant.  It would not be kind to serve a milk product to this dear man.  It was bad enough that the first time I met him, not knowing of his problem, I served grilled cheese sandwiches and cream of tomato soup.  Heck of a note when your future mother-in-law tries to do you in right off the bat.  He really must have wondered what kind of family he was marrying into, as Dogie (our dog at the time) had found a deer leg down in the woods and was hauling it around the yard, probably not the best introduction.  At least there was no banjo music playing in the background (Deliverance, 1972).

The littlest girls have upped their egg production, so it will be egg-salad sandwiches for lunch today.  Linda has been enjoying truly farm-fresh eggs in one form or another frequently and now says she's spoiled for store bought.

It was a good day, and I'm looking forward to another today.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Hope it was a good day...and I'd be one of your BEST egg customers. Darn the distance!