Sunday, October 11, 2015

And It Was

Yesterday I said I was expecting a good day, and it was.  Deb and Craig came up in time for lunch.  They brought a couple of gorgeous eggplants from their garden, a favorite of mine and Craig's and anathema to Deb.  She loves him so they grow them and she even cooks them for him.  I have enough recipes for eggplant to fill a cookbook, trying every which way to get my Kids to like it without success.  Fortunately, Linda likes it so I know what will be on the menu tonight.  (Actually, it would be on my menu anyhow and Linda could fend for herself.  See how I am?)

The project for the day was transferring the VHS tape of Deb and Craig's wedding to a DVD disc.  I've got this great gizmo that does just that.  It did take two of us (Craig and me) to get it going, one reading the manual and one pushing buttons on two or three remotes.  "Here, give me that."  "Rewind the blankety-blank thing and start over."  "It says right here...."  After several failed attempts, finally voila!, and we were thrown back nearly fifteen years in time.  The wedding was held in our backyard at the end of April, a time of year when everything outdoors is green and beautiful.  A late snow the week before had sent us into a panic, and it was grey and overcast in the early morning of the big day and I was trying to plan how we'd fit the 100 or so people into the house.  Then the skies cleared and the sun came out and it was a perfect day.  I cried as much yesterday as I did the day my most beautiful daughter walked down a red carpet on her father's arm to marry the most handsome man of her dreams, both of their faces absolutely glowing with love.  Watching the film was bittersweet as so many in attendance on that day are gone now, but wonderful to see dear ones alive and vibrant once again.

Time always goes too fast when the Kids come up.  Regardless, it was a truly good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Sounds like a wonderful day!