Thursday, February 4, 2016

Ahhhh!

I don't know which feels better:  getting an unreachable itch scratched or satisfying a food craving, but oh, what a relief it is!  One and one-half liverwurst, muenster cheese, and mayo sandwiches on fresh, extra-sour rye bread for dinner last night.  Satisfaction guaranteed.  I'd become absolutely fixated and it was worth the trip to the grocery store to get liverwurst if for no other reason than I could stop thinking about it.  Not wanting to waste a trip, I started going through flavor profiles as I walked the aisles.  Superbowl Sunday coming up.  Hmmm.  Nobody is coming over, but it didn't seem right not to have football fare.  Italian sausage and peppers would be appropriate.  Check.  I haven't fixed a real grown-up meal in awhile.  Hmmm.  Crock-pot beef roast with dry onion and cream of mushroom soups, with mashed potatoes and gravy and a side of steamed broccoli.  The aroma of that cooking all day, oh yeah!  Check.  With the fridge stocked, maybe I can quit thinking about food now.  Lots of leftovers in my future; oh goody!

The weather is flopping around like a fish out of water.  Snow on Tuesday, and by Monday we're predicted to be in the 70s.  Yesterday all the water troughs and bowls were frozen.  Today there's no sign of frost.  It's hard to know how to dress.  Bibbies, of course, but which jacket or how many jackets to put on?  The layered look is definitely "in" this winter.  It was grand to drive over the bridges on the Cosumnes river and see water rushing between the banks.  It's been awhile, for sure.

It's always nice to be welcomed home.  Bessie Anne is usually at the door to greet me, but I got a laugh from an unexpected source yesterday when I drove up.  Narcissus was in his place and could hardly wait for me to park the truck.  I was unloading bags and he was already crooning to his reflection.  He may need an intervention.  There's no "ahhh" in his future.

It was a good day.

No comments: