Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Red Letter Day

It is so great when an ordinary day turns into an extraordinary day, and yesterday was exactly that.  Linda and I had arranged to meet for lunch and then I got word that Clay was coming up.  Critters fed, barn chores done, spiffed up in clean bibbies, and I was ready to go.  (Okay, so I didn't get the dusting done.)  The weather was perfect and Clay took advantage to ride up on his Harley, the roar of that big engine announcing his arrival long before he came up the drive.  Once upon a time, long, long ago (back in the '70s) I bought a motorcycle when few-to-no women rode bikes alone.  Having ridden behind on the buddy seat for years, I really loved the feeling of independence of driving by myself.  This said, I almost wished I could ride with Clay, but reality struck and so we took my truck up to Pleasant Valley.  We met Linda at The Pizza Factory.  At the risk of sounding like a commercial, The Pizza Factory makes really great pizza.  The franchises are consistent and never fail to please.  With the temp in the 70s, we sat on the patio to pig out on pepperoni and one of my favorites, the Blanca, nothing but cheese and garlic.  It'll keep you safe from vampires, I promise!  Stuffed to the gills, it was time to say goodbye and head back to the house.

I had asked Clay for help with the acorn problem in the shed.  Day after day, I'd been pushing out acorns to be eaten by the turkeys and squirrels and had cleared a path back to the birdseed barrel.  The ceiling, drywall and insulation, still hung in shreds, blocking the door and threatening to come crashing down.  It wasn't something I wanted to tackle on my own, fearing the body might not be found later under the avalanche of acorns.  Ever willing to rack up Good Son points, Clay carefully pulled down the hanging sections of ceiling and dodging the downfall.  One of these days I'm going to have to load up the truck and make another dump run with the broken drywall panels.

Any day one (or more) of my kids come up is a very special day, and yesterday was no exception, a red letter day, indeed.

As an aside, a text from Emmy proved the power of the pen.  She let me know that "nostalgia got the best" of her, and she'd bought liverwurst, and it was as good as she'd remembered.  We could start a whole new marketing trend!

It was a good day.

No comments: