Friday, February 5, 2016

Bessie Is A Bull

Since Bessie Anne was a shelter dog, her actual birthday is unknown.  We brought her home toward the end of March when she was approximately eight weeks old, so odds are she's probably a Pisces, possibly an Aquarius.  However, one bull recognizes another and in her heart, she's Taurus through and through.  She is determined (some might say stubborn), focused (possibly single-minded), loves treats (sometimes to excess), and she does not like change.  We have our routines in place and things should be done in the same way, preferably at the same time of day, every day.  I understand.

I have had the same welcome mat on the front step for close to 20 years and it was getting worn, colorless, and pretty ratty, so I recently bought a new one.  I spent a bit of time choosing one that Bessie would like because her favorite afternoon spot is lying on the porch in the sunshine.  (Mornings are spent with me on the deck.)  Other mats would be more efficient to wipe shoes clean but they would not have been so comfortable for my friend, so I opted for one very similar in style to the old one, flat and thin.  So much for good intentions.  I rolled up the worn mat and proudly put down the new one.  Bess sniffed it all over and stamped it "reject."  For well over a week she has squeezed herself onto what space was left on the step, avoiding the new mat entirely.  Crum.  I guess I've wiped enough barnyard "stuff" on the mat over time so that it has developed the right character to satisfy my girl.  I noticed yesterday that she has once again resumed her spot.  We Taureans may not like change, but we can adapt.  And that's no bull.

No comments: