Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Rambling On

Same view, same time, same sky, but, oh, what a difference a day makes (Dinah Washington, 1975).  It was like that moment in "The Wizard Of Oz" when Dorothy flies out of black-and-white Kansas to step into technicolor Oz.

There was also a significant change in temperature.  Getting ready to go into town, I shed the turtleneck of the day before for a light-weight shirt and jeans.  It wasn't really what I'd call hot, but pleasantly warm.

(Celeste is wandering up and down the hall, miaowing as she goes around with Waldo in her mouth.  I wonder where she'll leave him today.)

When did doctors' offices become so organized?  Back in the day I'd spend hours in the waiting room, just waiting.  Nowadays I'm in and out on schedule.  Nice.  Dr. Locke gives a good, firm handshake.  (After seventeen years of milking, I've got a pretty good grip, myself.)  I so dislike a wimpy handshake.  I used to tell my grandkids, "You never have to kiss or hug anyone if you don't want to, but if you do, do it like you mean it.  No Hollywood hugs or kiss-the-air kisses."  If my kids hug you, you'll know you've been hugged!  But I digress.  I'm cleared for another six months, at least by this doc.

I did buy a new coffee maker.  It's got several bells and whistles I'm not sure I'll need, but it has a "strong brew" feature that I think Pete will like.  He drinks a lot of coffee when he's here and likes it strong enough to hold up a spoon.  I'm not sure what the metal was, probably aluminum, but when I was a kid, my mother and Aunt Jimmy (I also had an Aunt Carl - those Texans) would play cards all day and make pot after pot of coffee to "break in a new pot" and get rid of the metallic taste.  I haven't unpacked it yet and will probably wait until my old one gives up the ghost.

Doctor's office and two shopping stops and I was home in a little over three hours.  I can handle that.

It was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Sounds like all in all it was a pretty darn good day, and congrats for the 6 months' clearance!!! Kudos in fact.