Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Burnout

I know what the problem is...I just don't have an answer for the overwhelming numbness I'm feeling.  Too much Covid-19, too much political anger in government and the populace, too many mass shootings, too much racial hatred, and it goes on and on.  I can't handle it anymore and have just about quit watching news of any kind, even the local stuff.  It's just a Band-Aid, not a solution, but in my case it's self-preservation.  This isn't the first time I've gone into withdrawal.  During the Vietnam War, I finally had to stop immersing myself in the tragic daily news and concentrate on my family and home.

Michael is earning his pay as a certified Emotional Support Animal.  In addition to our necessary walks, he now has us scheduled for two sit-in-the-sun, be quiet and let the warmth seep in breaks every day...very therapeutic.

Ralph has become my nighttime therapy cat.  He waits impatiently for me to get settled in bed and then hold up the opening to the cat cave.  He's spending more and more time in there now, snuggling close, putting his head on my arm, and the feel of that silky soft, warm little body is balm to my soul.  I don't know what the attraction is for him, I'm just happy he's there.

The animals are my touchstone and ease the burden of burnout.  

Stay safe.  Be well.

No comments: