Friday, March 19, 2021

Penalty Box

I was never involved with, nor good at, sports, but I know now what it feels like to spend time in the penalty box.  Procrastination caught up with me big time.  Knowing there would be a wait at the clinic, I stopped first to fill up the gas tank.  That was a good thing.  I was on time and the line wasn't too long down in Cameron Park.  The problem was, it didn't move.  It didn't move for over half an hour.  Hmmm.  Ah well.  Finally there was some action, however slowly, and I got up to where the smiling, apologetic minions were to take information.  It seems someone in the observation area after having received the injection had a reaction that required a physician's attention and everything came to a halt.  Not exactly confidence inspiring.  Finally, f-i-n-a-l-ly, I was through the line, got my shot, waited the obligatory time, and was set free.  (By the way, I had no reaction.)

After nearly three hours lost, I headed back to P'ville, sorting through the stops I had planned and weeding out those I could put off again.  That's when I saw the red and blue flashing lights behind me.  Oh good grief, now what?  I knew I wasn't speeding, so the big Why?  With no preliminaries, the nice officer asked for license and registration, and I still didn't know why.  I've watched enough cop shows (and was married to a policeman, the Kids' dad, for twenty years) to know to comply and sit quietly.  Turned out my tags were expired and I got a fix-it ticket.  It's the first ticket of any kind I've ever received in 67 years of driving.  Let's just say it didn't make my day.

Okay, more time lost.  I've had this problem with my iPhone in that I could not get nor send email, so decided to drop in at the AT&T store.  I had called and the gentleman said to come by and he could fix it for me.  Uh huh.  The store was significantly understaffed and I waited 45 minutes before my turn came up.  He couldn't fix it.  It really was one of those days.

It was raining hard and darkness was falling, so Michael, ever patient Michael, and I went across the parking lot to a store I thought might have a few things I needed to get.  They didn't.

Having spent the entire day in the penalty box, I was ever so glad to get home.

Stay safe.  Be well.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Oh man I'm so sorry. Looks like you did everything right (well except the expired tags) and the universe had other plans. BTW, the AT&T stores are the worst! They aren't so good on the phone either...ironic, isn't it?