Friday, March 12, 2021

I'm Excited!

I was going to title this entry as 'Just Shoot Me,' but then thought perhaps that might be considered a downer or a plea for some kind of gun violence.  However, I am excited!

Last month I received my first Covid-19 shot.  Other than the hour-long wait idling along in the lengthy line of cars and trucks, it can only be described as an almost pleasant experience.  Even the wait wasn't all that bad as it was a pretty day and I had Michael for company.  Up at the top of the hill, the welcoming committee waited...smiling masked women to ask a few questions and write stuff on their clipboards.  They were friendly and efficient and moved that line swiftly along and Bob's your uncle.  The shot itself was honestly the easiest I've ever had.  It seemed the nurse had barely touched my arm (held out the window) and she was putting on a Band-Aid.  "Are you done?!"  "Yes, I am.  Now wait over there for fifteen minutes before leaving, please."  "Dang, woman, you're good!"  She gave a small smile and waved her hand at the multitude of vehicles behind and ahead.  "Lots of practice."  I had absolutely no aftereffects from the shot.

I hadn't even had to go hunting for where I might get inoculated.  Marshall Hospital in P'ville had contacted me and had already scheduled an appointment, a benefit of being in a preferential age group, emphasis on age.  The other day, thinking about not wanting to miss the second dose of Moderna, I tried to get in touch with the Hospital, but didn't have the correct number for the Covid unit.  No worries, they called me yesterday and had already scheduled my appointment for next week.  I'll make sure to have a full tank of gas and hope for another nice day.

Getting a shot isn't necessarily anything to look forward to, but given the severity of this rampant deadly virus and having had severe episodes of asthma in the distant past, the thought of not being able to breathe (a major effect of Covid) is terrifying.  If getting an injection will keep me from going into the hospital and lessen the possibility of being a spreader should I contract the disease, just shoot me.

Stay safe.  Be well.  And get your shot(s).

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Ah ha...THAT kind of shoot! You did have me wondering!!! All good.