Saturday, March 27, 2021

Don't Be Such A Pill

This is more my life than farm life, but, hey, you play the hand you're dealt.

As I knew it would be, yesterday was a go-to-town day.  The drive was really lovely with pink and white flowering fruit trees around almost every curve.  Daffodils were bright yellow exclamation points on the green hillsides shouting, "Look at us!  Look at us!"  And then I noticed the Check Engine Soon light had come on.  Ratchafratch.  Truck didn't seem to show any symptoms and I didn't have a choice.  Nothing for it but to keep going and hope.  I was beginning to feel a little like Joe Btfspik from the old Li'l Abner comic series (1934-1977), that hard-luck fella with the cloud over his head.

Made it to town without incident and made the two must-do stops.  One was to pick up the newly prescribed meds.  OMG!  For anyone who didn't/doesn't believe in the ACA, let me give you an example that nearly made me faint.  One of the four medications was, without insurance, nearly $570!!  With insurance, my cost was $45.  I'm a grateful believer.

This pill-taking business is going to take some orchestration.  This is me, the me who, if I took two pain pills a year, it was a bad year.  Now there are eleven of those rattling little bottles lined up.  Some are to be taken in the morning on an empty stomach.  Some are to be taken in the morning with food (I don't eat breakfast).  Some are once a day, some are twice.  Good grief!  (And the pages and pages of side effects were enough to scare Superman.)

With no other option, Michael and I made the trip home okay, me watching gauges like a hawk.  The first thing in the house was to call the auto shop down in Mt. Aukum to see if they could find the problem and get Truck back to me by Tuesday's doctor appointment.  What I got was the message saying the shop was closed and they'd be back by April 6th.  Figures.

Such as it was, that was yesterday.

Stay safe.  Be well.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Holy Moly. We all thought 2020 was bad but you are racking up 2021 adventures. Prayers that things go smoothly!! At least with your new phone you can easily set alarms to ring to remind you when to take pills if you want. And who knows...maybe you will have a half a banana for breakfast :-)