Saturday, June 26, 2021

Livin' The Wild Life

It changes daily.  It could be a comedy, a drama, a tragedy, a melodrama, or a mystery, but it's always interesting.  Coming home in the morning after my visit with Joan, I pulled up to find a spike buck in the driveway right in front of the front door.  Now that's awesome.  I stopped and we just looked at each other before he took off, not in frightened leaps and bounds, but calmly like visiting royalty.

It's not so much fun to see one of Robert the Raider's progeny skulking on the deck, headed around the corner to Missy's food bowl.  I no longer have a single potted plant out there, closing the greenery smorgasbord, so I can't imagine how the free-lunch information gets passed down through the generations.  Did I mention the Missy has a friend she also invites for a meal?  It's a big, fluffy (well, unkempt is more like it) apricot-colored cat, sex undetermined cat who now comes almost daily.  Ah, well,  what's one more mouth to feed?  (I don't feel that way about the squirrels.)

It happens every year, but it's always so sad.  A mama turkey will come by, proudly leading a choo-choo train of tiny turkletts, talking to them constantly to keep them in line.  Then, slowly or sometimes day to day, the babies will be one less.  This year, Mama's train got shorter very fast until she was down to one.  I haven't seen her for a couple of days now. That's sad.

I haven't opened the book yet today, but I know it will be interesting.

Stay safe.  Be well.

No comments: