Monday, June 7, 2021

Mission Accomplished

It might not seem like much, but I had a real sense of accomplishment yesterday.  For reasons not worth going into and beyond my control, I had not swept my front porch  in probably a year,and it showed.  Spurred by some long-dormant ambition, yesterday was the day to accomplish the deed.  The wind was blowing in the right direction to take the mountain of accumulated leaves away from the house.  Raking on top of sweeping would have been just too much.  My mother always said you never get a second chance to make a first impression.  Fortunately I haven't had much company and those who had come had been here before.  It was notable, however, that the first thing Florence said on arrival was, "It looks so nice."  She and Dan had come to put the bat box up on the feed barn.

I so enjoy their visits, and they had time to sit on the now-clean porch and talk.  As an added bonus, we've all been vaccinated against the virus and were able to share hugs.  I have so missed hugs!  Not only was it several degrees cooler, the breeze was coming in from the bay and it was actually pleasant to sit outside.    We never lack for topics of conversation, but then it was time for them to do that for which they came.   I had used up what energy I'd had and they certainly didn't need supervision, so they went out to the barn on their own.  In what seemed like no time at all, the bat box was installed.  Hopefully residents will move in soon.  They will certainly be welcome neighbors.

For the cherry on top, Florence had brought a gift of cut-up watermelon.  I haven't had watermelon in years.  After they left, I had watermelon for dinner...and then for dessert.  I'll have watermelon for breakfast today.  Juicy and sweet, I was in hog heaven.

I'd say it was a day of missions accomplished.

Stay safe.  Be well.


No comments: