Friday, June 17, 2016

A Very Good Day

The weather was perfect, in the low 70s, for yet another trip to town.  In spite of the El Dorado County fair going on, traffic on the back roads was light.  A hillside creeper weed with fuchsia-colored flowers bloomed everywhere.  If one has to travel, this was the way to do it.

I could tell from my doctor's smile when he came in that he had good news.  Cancer had not traveled to the lymph nodes.  Ta da!  Stitches were removed, but I still need to be careful with the incisions until completely healed.  I'm not totally out of the woods yet because there will be radiation just in case there are lurking cells.  I'll deal with that when the time comes.  I will not need to see my surgeon for six months!

Picking up the mail on my way to town, I found a card that touched me deeply.  It was from my OR team, with personal, handwritten notes from each of the nurses and staff who had cared for me before, during, and after my surgery.  I must have made a good first impression, because I've never heard of such a thing before.  Maybe they do this as a matter of course, in which case I hope they know how much it means to the recipients.  I certainly know how much it meant to me.

To celebrate the day, after making a few necessary stops I picked up an order of Beef Chow Fun for dinner.  Haven't had it in years, and, boy! was it good.

Deb and Craig had mentioned that they mix up a cup of hummingbird juice a week.  Phffft!  My hummers are going through two quarts a day!  They bang on the windows if I let the feeders get low.  "Hey, lady!  A little service here, please!"  I picked up another water bottle yesterday for the pullets as they drink the one-gallon jug I have now every day.  Maybe it's the altitude.

The morning had gone by in a blur of anxiety and anticipation.  The evening was a time for gratitude, spreading the word to family and friends, and a big sigh of relief.

It was a very good day.

2 comments:

Emmy said...

Good news, indeed..happy for you.....

Kathryn said...

So so so happy! I'm still on vacation but there is room in the hotel room for a happy dance!!