Thursday, October 13, 2016

Just Not Here

Got a lot done yesterday, just not here.  We got six panels of T1-11 painted on Cam's barn.  That might not seem like much, but each panel was trimmed separately with aluminum and there was a lot of cut-in work.  T1-11 siding is a booger to paint.  It has a very rough surface with narrow channels cut in and if there is any water damage, the wood checkers and it is nearly impossible to paint.  There's a lot to be said about working with a friend.  We talked and laughed the entire time and three hours went by quickly.  We both decided it was quitting time when we started making mistakes.  Cam had been up and down on the ladder, and I was bent over painting trim.  We stopped while we could still walk semi-upright, neither of us being spring chickens anymore.

I fear my name is Mudd with my neighbor Beau.  While waiting for my coffee at 4:30 this morning, I decided to clear "recent calls" off my cell phone.  It seemed like a good idea at the time.  Swipe, delete.  Swipe, delete.  Imagine my horror when I touched a name and it didn't delete, it started ringing Beau's phone.  In a panic I tried to hang up but the bloody thing kept repeating.  Aaargh!  I hoped against hope that he'd left his phone in a pants pocket in another room, but no such luck.  Bless his heart, he called right back, his voice thick with sleep.  It was very reassuring to know that if I'd had an emergency, help was just up the road.  However, I groveled with sincere apologies and I hope he was able to go back to bed, probably and rightfully calling me very name under the sun.  Just because I get up before the roosters, it doesn't mean the world has to.

If the weather guys are right, this may be the calm before the storm.  A pretty good rain is predicted for tomorrow through Sunday.  I am so hoping for an alfalfa delivery before the skies open up.  The crew is good about adding grain to the truck for me.  If they can't come today, I'll have to go get feed myself.  I got rained on the last time I had to unload, and would prefer not to do that again.

No comments: