Thursday, October 6, 2016

What Else?

I learned a long time ago never to ask, "What else can go wrong?"  Sure as shootin', as soon as those words are spoken, something else goes wrong.  I do, however, ask many times a day, "What else can I do while I'm doing 'that'?"  I don't like to backtrack or make unnecessary trips while tending to chores, etc.  There's a joke about an old person who, while bent over tying their shoes, looked around and wondered, "What else can I do while I'm down here?"  I understand completely.  The point of all this is that yesterday I decided to bite the bullet and do paperwork that I'd been putting off (typical).  Nearly finished, I needed to print off some critical information and discovered to my dismay that the printer had run out of black ink.  Aaarrgh!  Dastardly machine had given no warning that it was getting low or I'd have bought more on my last trip to town.  Too late to leave yesterday, I spent time trying to think of what else I can do to make the forty-mile-plus trip more productive today.  Well-stocked on everything else, I fixated on getting a cabbage.

Why a cabbage, you ask.  The pullets have kicked into gear and I'm getting four to five eggs from them a day and they're starting to pile up.  The other day I made egg salad for sandwiches, but only needed six or seven eggs from the basket.  Some years back, Linda gave me the recipe for Russian Pie that uses hard-boiled eggs, cabbage, onions, cream cheese and other goodies and I've had it in my mind to make it again, but I need a cabbage.  I certainly wouldn't make a special trip just for that, but as long as I have to go to town anyhow....

Here's a handy hint for the day when hard-boiling eggs.  Don't.  Put the eggs in a pan, cover with cold water, bring just to a simmer, turn off the heat and put a lid on the pan.  Let sit for ten minutes, then run under cold water.  It's a surefire way to avoid that ugly grey-green around the yolk.

What else can I say?

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

That same egg trick was taught to me about 50 years ago and I still use it! Good one, huh? And I've started buying my ink online as it is still cheaper than Staples, etc, but shopping online may or may not be cost effective for you. Hope you get your cabbage...the dish sounds yummy!