Tuesday, October 18, 2016

The Sun Shines Bright...

No, not on "My Old Kentucky Home," but on Farview Farm the sun shone all day long.  Washed clean, the oaks were hurt-your-eyes green.  Parched plants perked up in the herb garden, and I'm here to tell you that there were five very happy goats in the pen in the morning.  I got a start on giving the girls a pedicure.  Walking on wet/damp ground had softened their hooves enough to cut.  I don't have the hand strength anymore to trim them when they're rock hard in the summer.  It's a four-day process as I trim one hoof in rotation on each girl each morning.  It lets them off the stand quicker and is much easier on my back.

After days of being shut in the gloom of the coop, the chickens ran about scratching and busy on a bug hunt.  (One thing about rainy days, with nothing else to do, the bored hens settle down and lay more eggs.)

Our DCG  (decomposed granite) soil drains quickly so there were few of the standing ponds of the day before, but I considered it still to wet to mow, not wanting to put ruts in the ground.  It did take self-restraint not to gas up John Dear and spend the day outside.  Bess and I cheated just a bit and sat out on the deck after chores and later under the shade of the front yard oak.  It was just too nice to stay inside.

I've given up on the house as a major project, but whittle away at the To-Do list every day.  Believe it or not, it's a full moon again and time is quickly slipping by.  It will be Thanksgiving before we know it.

The sun went down as it had come up, a blazing ball of fire.  It was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Oh it sounds like it was a wonderful refreshing respite for sure!