Friday, December 23, 2016

All Those Bases

I'm running around like a nutter these days what with Christmas and company, weather, a Kid's birthday in another couple of weeks, etc., etc., etc.  That's a lot of bases to cover.  I never liked baseball in the first place, always the last to be picked for the team (for good reason), and baseball has only three bases to hit.  I'm expecting any minute to hear, "You're OUT!," as I wade through jello these days, moving as fast as I can and getting nowhere.  Sigh.

Nature snickers at me now in the mornings.  The winds of late pushing up under the metal panels on the barn roof have loosened nails and allow rain or melting frost to drip down inside in a neat little row of puddles.  One such row is exactly where I sit on the milking stand.  Wet britches on a cold morning is an eye opener, and Nature gets a real giggle.  Better me than the goats, though.  They've got enough to deal with.

With little time to spare, I had to make another trip into town yesterday when I realized there wasn't enough cat litter to outlast the storm.  Like toilet paper, there are those things one just cannot do without.  Speaking of TP, some long time back someone posed a question:  when money is tight, what is the one luxury you will not give up?  My answer:  two-ply toilet paper!

We've passed the winter solstice and the days will begin to get longer, but that hasn't happened yet.  Getting home just before sundown, it was a question of priorities:  goats and chickens inside versus firewood to the porch or get groceries into the house first.  I was going into the house anyway, so loaded up (first base), then put the big and little girls to bed (second base), and while there was still enough light to see, brought two wagon loads of wood up (rounding third and headed for home base!).  Safe!!

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Whew...that's all I can say! Glad ya made it "home!"