Monday, July 24, 2017

Silent Night

It was another of those strikingly quiet moments toward sundown.  I'd just finished watering the deck plants, soaking Bess in her pool and misting myself and we took a moment to drip dry.  The view of the hills to the south is much altered by the loss of that huge oak limb.  Some might appreciate the openness, but I mourn the loss of that beautiful, full tree as it was.

It had been a busy day, what with another trip to town.  Normally I'd have made all my necessary stops in one go-round after Deb's party, but wasn't going to miss the opportunity to spend extra time with Clay and Pete.  Jiminy, it was hot enough that just opening the truck door could burn your hand (not at home, the truck is parked in the shade).  A/C on full blast at least made the trip bearable.

It's been the better part of a week with no squirrels in the milking room.  I'm still on high alert, constantly peering under the goat's belly.  The mice are more relaxed, spending time at the grain pile to eat instead of doing a grab-and-run.  It's hard to believe I've actually scared off Percy and his gang.  They're probably waiting in a bunch on the other side of the wall, but it's nice to have a little peace in the barn during chores for a change.

No comments: