Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Stuck

(Stealers Wheel, 1973)  Instead of clowns and jokers, it was "Squirrels to the left of me, squirrels to the right, and I'm stuck in the middle again."  Percy and the fuzzy bunch were back yesterday.  They got a little help from Inga, who tipped her dish so there was some grain behind the stand, but their hearts weren't really in it for a full-force raid.  A loud "NO!" turned away those who poked their head out on my left and a squirt in their general direction (didn't even have to make a direct hit) sent the right side packing.  I again tried to get a photo of Patience who popped up behind me, but could hear her munching and crunching on the dropped cereal.  I don't do selfies, but did take the time later to figure out how to direct the camera behind me, so maybe I'll have better luck with this elusive lady another time.  It's been a little like waiting for the other shoe to drop as I knew that the squirrels hadn't given up on a free meal.  At least they aren't bent on murder and mayhem.

There are hordes running rampant up at the house.  Shaddup went on and on yesterday with that oh-so-irritating yip of his.  I banged the screen door in hopes of shutting him up, but he simply moved to another vantage point and started hollering again.  Young squirrels (there are lots of little ones now) ran around and played tag on the front porch.  Ralph and Celeste watch them like I watch TV.  Robert comes creepy-creeping along the deck daily on his mission of destruction.  One thing I don't run short of is squirrels.

Cam and Honey stopped by in the afternoon and we all went out to sit on the deck to catch the breeze.  After awhile, Honey got bored and wanted some attention.  She rolled around with a goofy grin on her face and got us laughing at her antics.  Camille had called earlier, asking if I knew anything about a new fire.  She'd been coming back from town and could see smoke and flames off of Cedar Ravine.  I truly hate this time of year.  I learned later that the fire had been contained.  Whew!

Nearing the end of July and the seasons are slowly changing.  Not so long ago it was light by 5 a.m. This shot was taken this morning at 6 and the sun isn't up yet.  A week of high temperatures is predicted.  I'm not looking forward to that.

No comments: