Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Delaying Tactics

Shortly after barn chores, a propane truck drove up.  I knew right away it was the new guy, the one who had gotten himself so lost last week.  My driveway has three "branches" to the house, and this guy had picked the narrowest, most winding one that goes under the low-hanging live oak.  While making introductions, I surreptitiously slipped him a milk bone, explaining that Bess looks forward to deliverymen because most of them give her cookies and I keep one in my pocket just in case a newbie hasn't learned that trick to keep farm dogs friendly.  I'm not on a set schedule for propane delivery and I so appreciate that the guys stop by when they're in the neighborhood because it keeps my bill low(er).  Propane is pretty expensive.  I hope this guy can find his way back again.

Later, there I was, dreading a trip to town (again), and Cam called, asking if I was going to be home until about 3.  She was going to be up on a ladder painting (again) and wanted someone to be aware.  "Well, I have to go into town, but I can wait until then.  No problem."  It turned out to be no hardship at all.  Two of my favorite movies played back to back.  I've watched "Finding Neverland" (2004, Johnny Depp, Kate Winslet,  Julie Christie, Dustin Hoffman) numerous times.  It's a touching story about James M. Barrie and the inspiration for "Peter Pan."  It's Freddie Highmore, the little boy who was Peter, who sends me to tears every time.

"Neverland" was followed by "The Girl With A Pearl Earring" (2003, Scarlett Johansson, Colin Firth, Tom Wilkinson) about the painting of the same name by Johannes Vermeer.  This movie is a low-key drama and probably not to everyone's taste, but I'm fascinated by the filming technique that gives the chiaroscuro effect used by Vermeer in his art.  I've actually watched the film without sound, just because of the beauty of each scene.

"Girl" came to an end at the same time Camille called to say she was done with ladder work for the day; perfect timing.  Without any further delaying tactics at hand, there was nothing for it but to make a hit-and-run trip to town.  Sigh.  I rewarded myself with fried eggplant for dinner.

It was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Sounds like a good day...and now you are sending me to the dictionary :-)