Friday, October 20, 2017

Welcome Back

As soon as I wrote the title, I thought of and could hear the theme music from a 1975-79 TV sit-com, "Welcome Back, Kotter," the show that launched a young John Travolta's career.

What I meant to say was how welcome it was to hear a good downpour in the middle of the night (and how nice that it is over and done this morning).  The sky did a lot of prep work yesterday, building up grey clouds and then letting them blow over.  Evidently they organized after dark.  Hopefully, the rain settled the dust and made it worthwhile to swipe a rag around today.

I wish the girls would play nice together, but Sheila and Tessie continue to pick on Inga.  Maybe it is because she's the oldest and probably the weakest, but it may be because Inga is a whiner and gets on their nerves.  Alpines are usually a quiet breed, unlike La Manchas and Nubians.  Inga hangs around the barn in the morning and never shuts up until the others come out from their turn in the milking room.  I will admit that I want to yell at her, but that's no excuse in the evening when Sheila bashes poor Inga into the barn wall when she tries to get past to go to her room.  She took a particularly hard hit last evening.  I'm just glad it was from Sheila and not one-horned Tessie.

I was right about the cauliflower and agrodolce.  It was delicious.

Bessie Anne is thirteen years old, going on fourteen, and is pretty sedentary these days.  She takes more naps than I do and, like me, she walks instead of running.  Therefore it was almost shocking when we both woke up from our before-bed snooze last night and she grabbed one of the cats' toys and wanted to play "chase me."  Keep-away used to be a favorite game and she would run around the dining room table, down the hall, and in and out of rooms, teasing me while I tried to take the toy away.  Maybe she'd been dreaming about her puppy days and wanted to relive the good times.  It's been a long while since she's gotten down on bended knees in the play-with-me pose.  Who am I to disappoint my girl, so we both acted silly.  The game didn't last long (thank goodness) and she headed back to the couch for another nap.

No comments: