Monday, October 2, 2017

High Tech

I do move with the times, albeit slowly.  Were it not for Deb and Craig, I might not yet have a cell phone.  I love the new flat-screen TVs, but I still have a couple of ancient behemoths in the house, as well.  I have a computer, of course, but no laptop or iPod.  I can relate to the guy living up the hill on the other side of the road:  when we moved up here, he had a television antenna installed up at the very top of a tall pine tree, which I thought was pretty funny.  I see that has been replaced with a satellite dish, so he's moving along, too.  Whenever I get something new, the instruction manual becomes my best friend.  (Remember my trials with John Deere?)

The point of all this is, yesterday was sports day.  The Steelers-Ravens football game was on at the same time as the NASCAR race at Dover.  Thanks to technology, the remote control allowed me to switch back and forth instantly between the two events, slow down or speed up the action, put everything on hold, and replay something I might have missed, all at the touch of a button.  Boy, did I ever feel high tech!  Pretty amazing stuff for somebody who grew up, first without a television at all, and then going to my sister's house to watch Harry Owens and His Royal Hawaiians or Gorgeous George, the wrestler, on a 6" round screen.  I think there were only three channels then, but my brother-in-law was a fanatic channel changer who drove the rest of us batty as he constantly was getting up and flipping through all three.  I didn't get one for a long time, but I thought just having a remote control was a pretty neat innovation, and yesterday I sure made use of mine.

My chair is a great vantage point to see the herb garden and front yard.  Before I went to the barn in the morning, a couple of big dogs traveled through the yard and then came around to check out the deck.  That's when Bessie saw them and went nuts.  I did not let her out.  The dogs had business elsewhere and went on down the driveway.  A little later, I caught movement in the herb garden just off the front porch and thought the dogs had come back.  No, it was a doe and her twin fawns!  There was a time when herds of deer would cruise through the property, now it's rare to see even one or two, so this was pretty special.

The Steelers won big time, and Clint Bowyer came in 6th.  It was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Glad it was a good day!!! Have you heard the joke...Oldster to Youngster...looking at the remote control?? "When I was young, I had to slog through 10 feet of deep pile shag carpet to go change the channel!!"