Tuesday, October 24, 2017

You Ain't Been Kissed...

I had business with Camille in the morning so went down shortly after barn chores.  It was lovely to be greeted by three grinning faces when I pulled up her long drive and Honey, Bud Man, and Sassy ran to say hello.  Buddy and Sassy are sibling German Shepherds found abandoned on the road, and Honey, as the auntie, has done a great job of socializing and schooling the growing youngsters.  Cam showed me her latest project in the works.  That woman's ambition just plain wears me out; she's an absolute dynamo.  She's also a nutter when it comes to rescuing animals.  I've posted pictures before of Ginger, the "alien" goat with neon-colored tennis balls on her horns.  Ginger would have liked to join the party and hung around on her side of the fence, but she plays a little too rough.  Camille started out with Honey and Shadow, the mini-donkey, and, in addition to the two dogs, multiple cats, and the goat, also has Cricket, the full-size donkey, and a large flock of chickens, also adopted.  Ee-ai, ee-ai-o!

Shadow is a particular friend of mine, and it was a pleasure when he came strolling up to the truck as I was leaving.  I rolled down the window and reached out to give him a pat.  That wasn't enough for this boy.  Mini-donkeys are short and rotund, and look like barrels on sticks.  Shadow is so little he had to crane his neck to rest his head on the window frame and I leaned over to him...and got a kiss.  Trust me, you ain't been kissed until you've been kissed by a donkey!  He looked up at me with those huge, liquid brown eyes so of course I returned the gesture, about forty times on his soft-as-velvet muzzle.  Satisfied with our mutual greeting, he ambled off.

I can't think of a better way to start the day.