Thursday, October 26, 2017

Surprise!

It showed every sign of being a humdrum day.  Nothing on the agenda beyond milk the goats, clean the barn, wash the bucket...ho hum.  And then the phone rang.  Surprise!  It was my brother-in-law, Stan, Steve's twin.  Stan and his wife Lynne are dear to me, but they live such busy lives that it has been maybe as long as three years since I've seen either of them.  It was nice to get his call, and then he said he'd like to come up and (big AND) bring KFC for lunch.  Hey, think I'm going to turn down a double-banger like that?!  Stan and Lynne live down in the valley, so I had time to dry mop the kitchen, pick up the kids' toys, and (hold on to your hat) dust the living room.

The day had heated up, so when Stan arrived we took everything out to sit on the deck in the shade to eat and catch whatever breeze might blow.  It turned out that Stan had recently retired and thus had the time for a visit.  I felt honored that he chose to spend a day with me.  It was grand to catch up on news of the family. I had talked to his aunt on her 90th birthday the day before, and his mom is turning 93 next week.  He asked about my Kids.  Stan lives not far from Dave and sometimes sees him in the market, but has been out of touch with the others.  Lynne is still working so Stan is becoming the house husband, and a crock-pot is his new best friend.  Exchanging recipes was the last thing I'd expected.  The afternoon flew by and too soon it was time for him to leave.  He asked to be included the next time the Kids organize a work day, and promised to stay in touch.

This is the lilac hedge from a different perspective.  The kitchen is pretty dark until the sun drops low enough to flood the room with light.  If I'd had my druthers, I'd have preferred the kitchen on the east side to avoid the heat in the afternoon, but....

I'd  no more than walked back in the house after Stan left when I got a call from Tinka with a surprise invitation for lunch next week.  Kit is coming up for a visit and I get to share a day with two good friends.

The phone was still warm when my niece in New Hampshire called. We were still talking when Cam phoned.  I had to call her back.

It was anything but a humdrum day!

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Yay to ALL! So nice to hear about Stan's visit. I had to postpone my planned trip due to the memorial for a dear high school friend at the beginning of this month, so I am SO glad that my revised visit is shaping up to include a dear friend :-)