Monday, August 9, 2010

An Almost Perfect Sunday

It was everything a Sunday should be.  The chores were done early, the delta breezes defused the heat, and I had time to get cleaned up and do a little desultory weeding in the herb garden before Deb and Craig arrived.  It had been such a pleasant surprise when she'd called the night before and said they'd like to come up.  I never expect to see much of the Kids during summer...for the most part, it's like inviting them into an oven.  Ill winds may blow no good, but the delta breezes blow Kids my way!  And they brought pizza!  Any fast food is thirty or forty minutes away...not so fast...so it is a real treat, not a staple in my diet.  We're all NASCAR fans, but this was a road race, not oval track.  Road races are not our favorites and so did not require total attention, so we could natter on and catch up on each other's news.  They have an exhausting, busy daily schedule, and this was a totally relaxing day.  Later, we went to check on the Silkies, Poppy's new look, and Craig fixed a dripping faucet for me with Deb's help.  As always, good-bye time came too soon.  The Kids have adopted a habit of Steve's...it didn't matter if I were standing, watching and waving, or milking down in the barn...he never drove off without calling out, "Love you!," and in return I would call out, "Love you!," from wherever I might be.  Hearing those two heart-swelling words echo out puts the period on the sentence for me.  This is one time I don't care if the neighbors listen.

The only imperfect event on an otherwise perfect day was that our arch rival, our nemesis, won the race.  Rats!!

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

Well, if THAT'S the only imperfect event, then I'd say you had a banner day. For...NASCAR winners may come and go, but any day that has heart-swelling words to put that period on the sentence (AND pizza!) is a winner for sure!! Swells YOUR heart and puts a smile on MY face! (I can feel what you feel, as my grown sons and I have adopted the "Love you" at the end of phone conversations, and it is not just the ol' Mom who initiates it - 'tis the norm now for all, and even tho it is somewhat rote, it is said, heard, and meant!) Oh, and the Google definition count for today is 2. Do you care to guess what 2 words sent me typing? Naw - no contest. Mark, did YOU know what they meant???

Cally Kid said...

OK, I couldn't quote the dictionary description but I associate by the usage. Diane by definition is "desultory" on her Sunday forays at the Slug Fest but the opposite in her other daily routines. As for nemesis: the word should be used carefully lest Clint be jinxed to never win against the protaganist personality the likes of Montoya.

Kathryn Williams said...

First one was correct...second was "natter!" Nemesis is an old friend...er foe!