Friday, August 13, 2010

Night Things

Yuki, Satomi, and Keiko, the little Silkies, must have spent a night in terror.  Thank goodness they sleep in a secure dog crate.  When I went in to let them out yesterday morning, their little "house" had been pushed halfway off the pallet that keeps it off the ground.  Thwarted, whatever the creature was that had come in the dark, in a fit of pique it tore off and demolished the bungee cord I use to hold the door open during the day.  It's not always convenient to be home at dusk to tuck all my critters in bed, but the night things are out there, waiting.

I actually ventured off the hill yesterday.  That makes what...two or three times this year?!  My son Dave, who is still recuperating, invited me down for a barbecue lunch.  It's understood that I can't leave here until after morning chores and must be home before dark, so my Kids aren't offended that I don't visit them often.  The steak Dave fixed left no room on the plate for a side dish and was perfectly seasoned.  All my Kids are terrific cooks; one even cooked professionally.  Can't say I enjoyed going into The City (when did they stop teaching drivers to come up to speed when entering the freeway?), but it was great to spend an afternoon with my son.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

You are a wonderful caretaker, and glad that the little ones stayed safe.

And I'm assuming the plate was a normal dinner plate??? Wow and yummy!