Sunday, August 1, 2010

It's All About Poppy

 "Baa, baa, Poppy...have you any wool?"  "Yes, sir, yes, sir...a big cart full!"  This is a two-year growth.  The outer side is sunburned and matted, and I won't use this fleece for spinning.  It's doubly unfortunate, because Tim obviously shears for spinners, with no "second cuts," those hesitation cuts that leave nubbles in the wool, shortening the usable strands. 
 A shadow of her former self. 

Poppy is a Suffolk ewe...black face and legs, cream wool.  Suffolk wool makes good, utilitarian yarn for socks and outer sweaters.  It's not particularly soft, like Rambouillet or Merino, but definitely serviceable.
 I learned my lesson.  These photos were taken before starting to milk.  That's Sheila with her back to the camera, Inga is facing Poppy, Cindy's black behind is at the rear, and Esther and Ruth were too busy eating to pose for a picture.  Lucy is having breakfast in the milking room, and Nineteen and Tessie are still in their stall, munching on orchard grass.



Like an English lady protecting her delicate complexion, Poppy spends most of her day in the shade now.  Given that she's lost thirty pounds or so, she isn't waddling around; probably feels like she's dancing on air!

3 comments:

Linda Cox said...

Beautiful photos Diane.

Kathryn said...

You mean all I have to do it get sheared and I'll lose 30 pounds and won't waddle????? Give me the phone number of that shearer...NOW!! And please tell Poppy that she is beautiful. Oh, and to refresh my memory on how Poppy became one of the girls, I went back to the blog beginnings and read all about the cast of characters, and what a treat - I feel like I was introduced to the kids all over again, and now that I have been reading about them, it was great to refresh myself about their personalities. In fact, it will take a couple of more reads before I have them straight. FUN!!

Kathryn said...

Crap...You mean all I have to do IS get sheared...(and I DID re-read it before I posted - so a lot of good THAT did!)