Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Attack of the Killer Chicken

I'm sure some Hollywood writer could make one of those genre movies...frogs that take over the world, giant rabbits terrorizing a town, worms that rise up to swallow people whole.  Evidently chickens do not feel as I do about sharing their space with mice.  One of the girls nailed a mouse yesterday and the others, cackling maniacally, began their macabre game of keep-away, racing around the pen with body in beak until there was nothing left of the little creature.  Some mouse family is wondering why Arthur didn't come home last night.  It's simply not behavior one expects from a chicken.

My afternoon was dedicated to baking cookies...chocolate frosted peanut butter bars (taste like Reese's cups) and lemon biscotti.  I wanted some small way to thank Joel for again mowing down the star thistle.  Mitzvah is Yiddish for a good deed, and I hope Somebody is keeping track, because my neighbor is racking them up.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Do you suppose the little feathered girls would play with little stuffed dog toys the way our canine friends do...or does the smell of blood have to accompany the game...or does the "toy" have to move before it is considered a toy. Well, I do guess we will have to chalk it up to instinct (I was about to say "human nature," and that of course made me laugh at my silliness!!) We know plenty of people who run around like chickens with their heads cut off...but that's not typical instinct OR human nature!!!

Kathryn said...

For any "lurkers" who would like to be posters but can't do it...do you have a Google account? That's how I get in to post. I don't use my gmail account but I have one, and once you set that up, I THINK that you can pick Google from the menu below where it says "Select Profile" and once you have picked it, you SHOULD be able to "Post Comment." In the beginning it took me 2 clicks before it would let me, but now after I have selected my profile (each time) and click Post Comment, it gives me the goofy word to retype, and then it posts it with no problem. Hope it works!!