Thursday, August 5, 2010

Saturday Morning Cartoons

I don't need television for amusement.  Spending time in the barn is better than watching cartoons.  Between the squirrels, mice, and goats, almost every day starts with a chuckle.  When squirrels meet, they look like little furry Frenchmen giving kisses on both cheeks.  Evidently squirrels, like cats, have scent glands at the jaw line.  While we'd like to think that our cats are showing affection when they rub their faces on our legs, etc., in actuality they are marking territory by leaving an identifying scent...although I'm sure they wouldn't do this if they didn't care.  The squirrels also rub their faces on doorways and entrance holes...a kind of WWII "Kilroy was here" sign.  One of the young squirrels yesterday had had an accident and its tail was broken at the halfway mark.  It didn't get slammed in a door, but I can envision the tail sticking out of a bolt hole and a goat thinking it was a snake and giving it a stomp.  At any rate, the broken half droops along the ground and is a source of irritation for the squirrel.  Squirrel doesn't appear to be in any pain, but these are rather fastidious creatures, and Squirrel stops periodically, reaches around and grabs the dragging appendage and cleans it vigorously.  When the youngsters get ready to settle down to watch me milk, they stretch and yawn before laying flat out on the ground and their eyelids get heavy.  The squirrels and mice have worked out some sort of detente so each gets a share of breakfast.  Nope, I don't need cartoons.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

I agree...MUCH more entertaining than anything on tv. I have often said that one of my favorite things in the whole world to watch is 2 dogs playing. And I'd LOVE to watch all the wildllife that you do, but, alas, all I have around here are little lizards who warm themselves on our deck or walkway and then scurry when I come near, even tho I assure them that I wish them no harm...and of course the 2 bunnies who eat my lawn, but they don't want to be friends!!

Kathryn said...

Help...it is Friday mid-morning and I can't live without my daily dose of the Farview Follies!!!