Saturday, August 14, 2010

Freaky Friday

I had the fourth goat up on the stand yesterday before it dawned on me that, although the mice were present in great numbers and active, I had not yet seen a squirrel in the barn.  Switching milkers, I looked out into the pen where dozens of squirrels usually play tag and hide-and-seek when they're not filling up at the breakfast buffet...not one squirrel anywhere.  On any given day, there will be one or more sentries sitting up on a post, giving that irritating, repetitive chirp.  Yesterday...silence.  It was eerie.  I opened my cell phone to check the time, thinking that I might be running late and missed the breakfast crowd.  The phone was absolutely dead, with a black screen.  One of the first things I do every morning is check to make sure the phone is fully charged...with the prospect of power outages, I can't afford to let the battery get low...and I had checked the phone yesterday and had full bars when I left the house.  I was starting to hear the theme from Twilight Zone.  I didn't see or hear one squirrel all day long, and not one hen went free-ranging (that's strange enough in itself).  I had filled the hummers' feeders in the morning.  They've been going through five or six bottles a day lately.  By evening, only one bottle was half gone; the others were still full.  Where were the hummers.  The goats were all anxious to get into the barn last night.  I don't put much stock in superstitions, but later in the day I realized it was Friday the Thirteenth.  Hmmm.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Do...do...do...do/Do...do...do...do (That's the Twilight Zone theme if you don't recognize it!) That IS bizarre. I, too, have never put much stock in superstitions, and because animals can't read a calendar, I'm sure they don't suffer from triscadecaphobia (can't BELIEVE you missed a chance to use THAT one :-). So maybe, just maybe, there is some sort of sun/moon/vortex thingy that happens sort of mid-month that people long ago picked up on (when their animals acted strangely), and when it hit on a Friday, they attached superstition to it. And who knows what the animals felt instinctively....or maybe it was just the day for your squirrels and hummers to go to the General Store in Placerville and the little girls and the bigger girls were down in the dumps cuz they had to stay on the farm...no Paree for them!!

Cally Kid said...

Did they sense an earthquake or are your neighbors feeding better fare? Now that I am in Hawaii I don't want to think about earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamais and such. Good thing I didn't read this yesterday. I might have poked my head in the sand like an osterich. I can't wait to find out what happens tomorrow. You really know how to build the suspense Diane "King" Ruddell. Or maybe you're just practicing on us for your upcoming Halloween edition.