Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Breakfast Brigands

I sat down to milk before I put down the buffet...big mistake.  A small mob of mice gathered, fixing me with accusing eyes.  Then the squirrels arrived, and were not content to sit quietly.  "Lady!  Hey, Lady...how about a little service here!"  Not wanting a riot to break out, I moved the bucket away from hooves and rushed to accommodate so I could finish milking in peace.  I was remembering when I was taking classes at Sacramento City College.  Campus parking was at a premium (as it seems to be at every college I've attended), but if one timed it just right, an open spot could be found across the street at South Land Park.  Park squirrels hid in ambush and would rush out to confront the unsuspecting students.  I have actually had them stand on my shoe, telling me in no uncertain terms that I'd better pay up or there would be consequences.  I took to carrying bags of graham crackers in my pockets so I could avoid a mini-mugging and get to class on time.  Once a sucker, always a sucker.

3 comments:

Kathryn Williams said...

Well, you have taught us that the GOATS need routine...and I guess your other banquet guests require the same. How DARE you change your routine! And I don't know about the other readers, but I could hear Jerry Lewis yelling, "Hey Lady!!!" What WERE you thinking???

Cally Kid said...

Routines offer a subliminal comfort we don't often think about until things change. The homeless cats are always outside my door waiting whether it's 4am or 6am and I usually feed them as the coffee brews. My routine is about to change as I pack for another long work trip and I lament over leaving. Your blog will be my surrogate "routine".

Cally Kid said...

PS: The good news is that I'll be 3 hours behind you and even when I get up at 4am it'll be 7am here so there's a good chance you will have already posted for the new day!